THE BIG 9: VERY COMMON QUESTIONS
- Could you walk me through your resume?
- Why MBA?
- Why do the MBA now?
- Why our school?
- What are your short term/long term post-MBA career goals?
- What are your 3 greatest strengths?
- What are your 2 greatest weaknesses?
- What do you think will be the
biggest concern of the Admissions Committee
in evaluating your application?
- Do you have any questions for
- What was the most rewarding aspect of your undergraduate experience?
- What are you most proud of about your undergraduate period?
- Why did you select this
undergraduate major? Would you have changed your
- To what do you attribute your strong academic performance?
- In which campus activities did
you participate? What did you learn or gain
from this involvement?
- Have you ever dropped a class? Why?
- Which college classes did you like the best/least? Why?
- Do you think you received a good education?
- Do your grades accurately reflect your ability?
- Were you financially responsible for part or all of your college education?
- How many classes did you miss
because of illness, personal business or other
- Describe your work experience (in general or with specific employers).
- What did you find most frustrating at work?
- What kinds of changes would you make at your work if you could?
- Do you have any opportunity for innovative thinking?
- Could you describe an incident
where you disagreed with a superior? How
was this settled?
- What aspect of your job do you most enjoy? Why?
- Of what accomplishment at work are you most proud?
- Could you compare your experience in these two jobs you had?
- If I ask your manager what he/she values in you, what will he/she say?
- What did you enjoy most/least about position X?
- Of which three accomplishments are you most proud?
- What problems have you solved in your previous positions?
- What have you disliked in your job with employer X?
- What are some recent responsibilities you have taken on?
- What do you think it is about
yourself that enabled you to earn achievement
- Describe a typical workday.
- Why did you leave job A for job B?
- What will you do if you are
not accepted to any of the MBA programs you
- What will you do if you are not accepted to our MBA program?
- Why did you choose to do X?
- Describe your ideal job after completing the MBA.
- How does your education or work experience relate to your career goals?
- Give me two cases where you demonstrated leadership.
- How would others describe your leadership style?
- What do you think is the right way to get things done through others?
- What would you do if a team member wasn't pulling his own weight?
- What qualities should a successful manager possess?
- Have you ever spoken to a group of people? How large?
- Could you name someone you view as a strong leader? Why?
- Who are your role models?
- What role do you usually play
in group situations? Could you give an
- Do you prefer to work under supervision or on your own?
- Give me an example of your teamwork experience.
- Have you worked under deadline pressure? When?
- Do you prefer large or small companies? Why?
- What kinds of people do you enjoy working with?
- What kinds of people frustrate you?
- How do you contribute to groups?
Personal and Ethics
- Tell me about yourself.
- Describe a time when you had
to bend the rules a little in order to
accomplish a goal.
- What do you like doing outside of work?
- Tell me about something in
your life you would have done differently if you
had the opportunity.
- What 3 adjectives would others use to describe you?
- Can you recall a creative/innovative activity of yours?
- Tell me about a time you took a risk and what the experience was like.
- If you were to establish a set
of values and beliefs on which to build a
business, what would they be?
- Is there anything
specific/else that you would like the admissions committee
to know about you?
- Define success/failure.
- Tell me about a time in which you failed.
- What would you like to change about yourself?
- Discuss any experience you have had abroad.
- Describe a life experience that had a strong impact on you?
- Tell me about an ethical dilemma you’ve dealt with.
- What do you get passionate about?
Extracurricular / Volunteer Work
- Have you ever done any volunteer work? What was it?
- Were your extracurricular
activities worth the time you put into them? What
have they taught you?
The MBA Program
- What are you looking for in our program?
- What can you contribute to your class?
- Why do you think you would enjoy your chosen area of study?
- What clubs are you considering joining?
- It's two years after
graduation, what three words would your MBA team
members use to describe you?
Typical “Behavioral Interview” Questions
- In dealing with a customer,
think of your most difficult situation and tell me
how you handled it.
- Give an example of a case when
you felt your boss made a bad decision and
explain how you would have handled it differently.
- Describe a situation where 20
different things had to get done at once and
how you handled it.
- Describe a disagreement you
had with your boss. What did he say? What did
- Describe a major problem you have faced on the job and how you handled it