Berkeley Haas 2018-19 Application Essays
The Full-time MBA program annually enrolls approximately 300 diverse, talented, and creative future business leaders. We admit candidates from a wide variety of industries and backgrounds who demonstrate professional achievement, academic aptitude, and leadership potential. Our community is enriched by students who embody our Berkeley Haas Defining Leadership Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself, and we seek candidates who will contribute to our distinctive culture.
The admissions team takes a holistic approach to application review and seeks to understand all aspects of a candidate’s character, qualifications, and experiences. We will consider achievements in the context of the opportunities available to a candidate. Some applicants may have faced hardships or unusual life circumstances, and we will consider the maturity, perseverance, and thoughtfulness with which they have responded to and/or overcome them.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply.
Essays help us learn about who you are as a person and how you will fit with our community. We seek candidates from a broad range of industries, backgrounds, and cultures. Our distinctive culture is defined by four key principles – Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself. We encourage you to reflect on your experiences, values, and passions so that you may craft thoughtful and authentic responses that demonstrate your fit with our program – culturally, academically, and professionally.
Application essays will be screened through anti-plagiarism software.
Tell us a six-word story that reflects a memorable experience in your life-to-date. Elaborate on why it is meaningful to you. (300 words maximum)
Tip: A successful six-word story will pique the reader’s interest in the forthcoming explanation. Together, the story and explanation will share a specific and personal experience that helps the reader get to know you better, giving insight into your character, values, or how you would uniquely contribute to the Berkeley-Haas community. View sample six-word stories and video tips from the admissions committee.
Six word story: (6 words)
Response: (textbox, 300 words)
Future Industry (select)
Future Function (select)
Briefly describe your immediate post-MBA career goal, and discuss how it will put you on a path to a meaningful and rewarding career. (textbox, 300 words maximum)
1. If you have not provided a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, please explain. If not applicable, enter N/A. (textbox, no limit)
2. List, in order of importance, up to five significant community and professional organizations and extracurricular activities in which you have been involved during or after university studies. Include the following information for each using the format below:
- Name of organization or activity
- Nature of organization or activity
- Size of organization
- Dates of involvement
- Offices held
- Average number of hours spent per month
If not applicable, enter N/A. (textbox, no limit)
3. List full-time and part-time jobs held during undergraduate or graduate studies indicating the employer, job title, employment dates, location, and the number of hours worked per week for each position held prior to the completion of your degree. If not applicable, enter N/A. (textbox, no limit)
4. If you have ever been subject to academic discipline, placed on probation, suspended, or required to withdraw from any college or university, please explain. If not applicable, enter N/A. (An affirmative response to this question does not automatically disqualify you from admission). (textbox, no limit)
We invite you to help us better understand the context of your opportunities and achievements. You may answer part, all, or none of the questions as it relates to your background.
1) What is the highest level of education completed by your parent(s) or guardian(s)?
Parent 1: (select)
Parent 2: (select)
2) What is the most recent occupation of your parent(s) or guardian(s)?
Parent 1: (select)
Parent 2: (select)
3) If you were raised in one of the following household types, please indicate: (select)
4) What was the primary language spoken in your childhood home? (select)
5) If you have you ever been responsible for providing significant and continuing financial or supervisory support for someone else, please indicate: (select)
Please elaborate on any of your above responses. Alternatively, you may use this opportunity to expand on other hardships or unusual life circumstances that may help us understand the context of your opportunities, achievements, and impact. (textbox, 300 words maximum)
Additional Optional Information
This section should only be used to convey relevant information not addressed elsewhere in your application. This may include explanation of employment gaps, academic aberrations, supplemental coursework, etc. You are encouraged to use bullet points where appropriate. (textbox, no limit)
ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS FROM THE ONLINE APPLICATION
- Company Description (textbox, no limit)
- Responsibilities / Accomplishments: (textbox, no limit)
- Reasons for Leaving (put N/A if not applicable): (textbox, no limit)