Essays help us learn about who you are as a person and how you will fit with our community. We seek candidates from a broad range of industries, backgrounds, and cultures. Our distinctive culture is defined by four key principles – Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself. We encourage you to reflect on your experiences, values, and passions so that you may craft thoughtful and authentic responses that demonstrate your fit with our program – culturally, academically, and professionally.
Application essays will be screened through anti-plagiarism software.
What makes you feel alive when you are doing it, and why? (text box, 300 words maximum)
At Berkeley Haas, we are redefining leadership. We value different opinions and perspectives, recognizing that we always have more to learn about others’ lived experiences and histories. We encourage speaking up and listening, and courageously use our power to address barriers and drive change for positive impact. Tell us how a Berkeley Haas MBA would enhance your leadership profile, incorporating specific examples. (text box, 300 words maximum)
1. If you have not provided a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, please explain. If not applicable, enter N/A. (text box)
2. List, in order of importance, up to five significant community and professional organizations and extracurricular activities in which you have been involved during or after university studies. Include the following information for each using the format below:
- Name of organization or activity
- Nature of organization or activity
- Size of organization
- Dates of involvement
- Offices held
- Average number of hours spent per month
If not applicable, enter N/A. [text box]
3. List full-time and part-time jobs held during undergraduate or graduate studies indicating the employer, job title, employment dates, location, and the number of hours worked per week for each position held prior to the completion of your degree. If not applicable, enter N/A. [text box]
4. If you have ever been subject to academic discipline, placed on probation, suspended, or required to withdraw from any college or university, please explain. If not applicable, enter N/A. (An affirmative response to this question does not automatically disqualify you from admission). [text box]
We invite you to help us better understand the context of your opportunities and achievements. You may answer part, all, or none of the questions as it relates to your background.
1) What is the highest level of education completed by your parent(s) or guardian(s)?
- Parent 1: [select]
- Parent 2: [select]
2) What is the most recent occupation of your parent(s) or guardian(s)?
- Parent 1: [select]
- Parent 2: [select]
3) If you were raised in one of the following household types, please indicate: [select]
4) If English was not the primary language spoken in your childhood home, please indicate: [select]
5) If you have you ever been responsible for providing significant and continuing financial or supervisory support for someone else, please indicate: [select]
Please elaborate on any of your above responses. Alternatively, you may use this opportunity to expand on other hardships or unusual life circumstances that may help us understand the context of your opportunities, achievements, and impact. (text box, 300 words maximum)
Additional Optional Information
This section should only be used to convey relevant information not addressed elsewhere in your application. This may include explanation of employment gaps, academic aberrations, supplemental coursework, etc. You are encouraged to use bullet points where appropriate. [text box]
ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS FROM THE ONLINE APPLICATION
Personal Data II
Work Experience – Briefly describe your immediate post-MBA career goal, and discuss how it will put you on a path to a meaningful and rewarding career. (text box, 150 words maximum)
For each employer –
- Responsibilities / Accomplishments: [text box]
- Reasons for Leaving (put N/A if not applicable): [text box]