Essays help us learn about who you are as a person and how you will fit with our community. We seek candidates from a broad range of industries, backgrounds, and cultures. Our distinctive culture is defined by four key principles – Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself. We encourage you to reflect on your experiences, values, and passions so that you may craft thoughtful and authentic responses that demonstrate your fit with our program – culturally, academically, and professionally.
Candidates are required to complete two essays. Candidates applying for concurrent degrees are required to submit an additional statement of purpose. Please do not exceed the specified word count for each essay.
Application essays will be screened through anti-plagiarism software.
What makes you feel alive when you are doing it, and why?
A successful essay will share a specific and personal experience that helps the reader get to know you better, giving insight into your character, values, or how you would uniquely contribute to the Berkeley-Haas community. (textbox, 300 words maximum)
The definition of successful leadership has evolved over the last decade and will continue to change. What do you need to develop to become a successful leader? (textbox, 300 words maximum)
1. If you have not provided a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, please explain. If not applicable, enter N/A. (textbox)
2. List, in order of importance, up to five significant community and professional organizations and extracurricular activities in which you have been involved during or after university studies. Include the following information for each using the format below:
- Name of organization or activity
- Nature of organization or activity
- Size of organization
- Dates of involvement
- Offices held
- Average number of hours spent per month
If not applicable, enter N/A. (textbox)
3. List full-time and part-time jobs held during undergraduate or graduate studies indicating the employer, job title, employment dates, location, and the number of hours worked per week for each position held prior to the completion of your degree. If not applicable, enter N/A. (textbox)
4. If you have ever been subject to academic discipline, placed on probation, suspended, or required to withdraw from any college or university, please explain. If not applicable, enter N/A. (An affirmative response to this question does not automatically disqualify you from admission). (textbox)
As part of the University of California public university system, we value the impact our program can have in increasing social and economic mobility. As such, please help us understand the context of your opportunities and achievements. You may answer part, all, or none of the questions as they relate to your background.
1) What is the highest level of education completed by your parent(s) or guardian(s)?
- Parent 1: (select)
- Parent 2: (select)
2) What is the most recent occupation of your parent(s) or guardian(s)?
- Parent 1: (select)
- Parent 2: (select)
3) If you were raised in one of the following household types, please indicate: (select)
4) If English was not the primary language spoken in your childhood home, please indicate: (select)
5) If you have you ever been responsible for providing significant and continuing financial or supervisory support for someone else, please indicate: (select)
6) Please elaborate on any of your above responses. Alternatively, you may use this opportunity to expand on other hardships or unusual life circumstances that may help us understand the context of your opportunities, achievements, and impact. (textbox, 300 words maximum)
Additional Optional Information
This section should only be used to convey relevant information not addressed elsewhere in your application. This may include explanation of employment gaps, academic aberrations, supplemental coursework, etc. You are encouraged to use bullet points where appropriate. (textbox)
ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS FROM THE ONLINE APPLICATION
Personal Data II
- Briefly describe your immediate post-MBA career goals (textbox, 150 words maximum)