Stanford MSx Program
The Stanford MSx Program is a one-year, full-time Master of Science degree program for experienced leaders. The program accepts 90 students (mid-career managers/execs with a minimum of 8 years and average of 12 years work experience) and awards MS in Management degree. Program starts in July.
Each year, Stanford selects an accomplished group of experienced leaders from across the globe, to spend a year as Fellows in the MSx Program, preparing for senior roles in business, government, and society. Since 1958, our alumni have gone on to lead global organizations, serve as policymakers and diplomats, financiers, entrepreneurs, and social innovators.
This program is an accelerated degree for experienced leaders. Fellows choose the program to gain deep knowledge of the art and science of leadership in a concentrated, energetic environment. And, they commit to a full-time residential experience that closes the door on distractions and enables them to focus on learning.
Once you have submitted a completed Stanford MSx Program application, we will evaluate it on its own merits and in the context of the broad applicant pool. If, after reviewing the application, we believe that you are a good potential match for the Sloan Fellows cohort, we will schedule an interview with you (by invitation only). Once an interview is completed, the Stanford MSx Program will make a decision on your application and notify you via email.
Evaluation criteria include Intellectual Vitality, Leadership Accomplishments, Personal Qualities and Contributions, Clarity of Purpose, Degree and Work Experience.
- Education – A U.S. bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required for admission to the Stanford MSx Program. No minimum GPA is required for admission to the Stanford MSx Program.
- GMAT and GRE – Either the Graduate Management Admission Test or the Graduate Record Examination is required for admission. We have no preference for one test over the other. While there is no minimum score required by the Stanford MSx Program, admitted candidates typically perform well. The median GMAT score for the Class of 2017 was 690.
- TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE (if your education was not conducted in English or it is not your primary language) – If English is not the primary language of instruction at your undergraduate or graduate institution, we require that you take one of the following exams to demonstrate proficiency. Minimum Score Requirement: TOEFL – 100 iBT or 600 PBT, IELTS – 7.0, PTE – 68.
- Professional Experience – Applicants are expected to have eight or more years of successful work experience. Most successful applicants have five or more years in management positions. You will need to attach a copy of your updated resume or CV to the online application. Unless you have a very compelling reason, do not submit a resume or CV that is longer than two pages.
- Letters of Reference – We require three letters of reference for all applicants to the Stanford MSx Program. Your recommenders will be asked to assess you on some competencies and character traits that contribute to successful leadership, and answer four questions.
- Essays – Our two essay questions are meant to be straightforward, not trick questions. We hope that thinking about and writing your essays will prompt self-reflection and that your essays will go beyond relating the “what” of your experiences, to the “so what” and the “why.”
1. What matters most to you, and why?
2. Why Stanford and why now? Describe your aspirations and how your Stanford GSB experience will help you realize them.
Applying to both the Stanford MSx and MBA programs
If you are still deciding between the Stanford MSx and the Stanford MBA programs, Stanford GSB offers the option to apply to both programs for one application fee. The combined Stanford MSx and Stanford MBA application is only available to those that will have at least eight years of work experience by July 2018.
Application Requirements and Process:
- Make sure you understand the criteria for both the Stanford MSx and MBA programs (at least eight years of experience is required for the MSx Program).
- You must apply in Round 1 or 2 to use the combined application.
- On the first screen of the Stanford MSx application, select the “MBA and MSx Program Application.”
- The Stanford MSx Program requires three letters of reference, so list a third recommender in your application to be reviewed only by the MSx Program.
- For the combined application, your answers for both essay questions may not exceed 1,200 words.
- Address your interest in both the Stanford MSx and MBA programs in Essay B.
- Pay only one $275 fee to apply to both programs.
- If you are admitted to both programs, you can accept only one offer of admission.
Program website: https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/msx
ARINGO consultants have experience with helping candidates apply to the Stanford MSx program. Contact us today!